Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 13:57:12 -0500
From:      John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com Support? -- NOT

FreeBSD Group,

I was hoping someone could help me with my 3c509 woes.  I have read many
many questions about the 3c509 card, with no good answers for my problem.
The largest source of problems seems to be those who are having irq trouble.
This is not my trouble as I have reconfigured, and recompiled at irq's 5, 7,
and 10 (orig) with no joy.

My system boots and recognizes everything ok, but hangs when adding the
default route.  Any ideas?

I saw the 3c509 worked FreeBSD, so I used it.  I also ordered and received a
3c590 (pci) board, but after reading about the poor support for 3com
products in the help archives, it would appear to be an EXTREMELY poor
choice (ie. no busmaster support).

Might I suggest you have 2 hardware lists:  "Works" and "Almost Works."  I
know you all want to make it look like FreeBSD supports many hardware
configurations, but you and I both know that that is not true.

I just built a system from scratch, being careful to buy products that were
supported by FreeBSD only to find out that your hardware compatibility list
was bullcrap.

Why not have a list of _FULLY_ supported hardware?  I would have much
preferred to buy my hardware from that list...

I now need to buy ANOTHER NIC, and I don't know which brand to buy.  I know
your hardware compatibility list can not be trusted, so where do I turn?
What am I supposed to do?

Does the 3c509 card really work?

Confused;

		--John