Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:03:45 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>
Cc:        John Barlow <barlow@starkube.net>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running xmms from cron

On Thu Nov 21, 2002 at 04:51:23PM -0500, Chip Marshall wrote:
> On November 21, 2002, John Barlow sent me the following:
> > I would like to make cron open xmms and stream my favorite radio shows.
> > Using crontab -e I created a schedule that follows this format:
> >
> > # wake up with KEXP 0622AM Monday - Friday
> > 22    6    *    *    1-5    oenomaus    xmms
> > /usr/home/oenomaus/streams/kexp.pls
> >
> > # listen to the news @ 0730
> > 30    7    *    *    1-5    oenomaus    xmms
> > /usr/home/oenomaus/streams/kuow.pls
>
> Unless this is the system crontab (/etc/crontab) you don't need to
> specify a username. I don't know off the top of my head if it will
> break because of that though.
>
> I think the problem here is that cron does not run these commands with
> the same environment that your shell does. In particular, without a
> DISPLAY variable, I don't think xmms will know how to connect to X.
>
> In an xterm, try running "echo $DISPLAY" and adding whatever's it's
> value is to your crontab on a line of it's own, something along the
> lines of:
> DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> It's a little hacky, but it should work, I think.

The problem is the X server access restrictions, in that case.

You'll have to have an X session opened for that to work or in a worst
case, start some kind of "virtual server" that doesn't have a graphic
front end, before starting xmms.

In general, I would recommend using gstreamer or another console-based
streamer instead of XMMS, even if xmms is good software.

A.