Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:24:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi sd.c

>>I have committed the the changes for slices to the sd driver:

>   I see that there is a problem with some multiply defined macro definitions
>in sd.c that need to be fixed.

The slice driver and the scsi driver are currently fighting for bits in
the minor number.  The multiple definitions are to remind the authors
about this.  I want all disk devices to have uniform naming and
numbering schemes for units, slices and partitions.  This simplifies
MAKDEV, config (mkswapconf.c) and autoconfig.c.  scsiconf.h wants to
have a different numbering scheme for each class of scsi devices.  It's
not clear if there are enough bits to put the scsi (BUS, LUN, TARG)
bitfields in the right places.

>>There will be some new boot messages such as the following:
>>
>>sd0s1: start 32, end = 262143, size 262112: OK
>>sd0s2: start 262144, end = 1816575, size 1554432: OK
>>sd0s3: start 1816576, end = 2078719, size 262144: OK
>>sd0s5: start 1816608, end = 2078719, size 262112: OK

>   This is far too much output for the standard bootup and should only occur
>when the '-v' verbose option is used at the boot prompt.

This will be changed when the slice drivers are fully debugged.

What's wrong with verbose output?  I like it except when it scrolls too
fast to read or fills up the message buffer.  The right way to fix this
is to enable interrupts earlier so that the scrolling can be stopped,
and use a larger message buffer while booting.  It's useful to have
verbose output in /var/log/messages.

Bruce