Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:23:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Chris <admin@redshells.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: zmodem protocol?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Chris wrote:
> Has anybody heard anything about possible security flaws in "lrzsz" ?
> Heres a short desciption from the website: "lrzsz is a unix
> communication package providing the XMODEM, YMODEM ZMODEM file transfer
> protocols." And the website: http://www.ohse.de/uwe/software/lrzsz.html

I still have to support X/Y/Z-modem for EDI dialin customers and several
other misc uses. The thing that comes to mind immediately is that Z-modem
allows running of a remote program unless you neuter the source code. The
code was not even expert friendly, IIRC, and was hell to pipe-fit to code
that did processing I needed performed on the files and managed the modem
ports. While I do not know of any specific buffer overflow bugs, given the
quality of what I saw, I think it would be pretty "chewy" to audit it.

The code runs non-suid, so you would only be risky if the user running the
{r,s}{x,b,z} commands wasn't who was on the other end of the communicaions
flow - not a problem with shell accounts using them on the command line. I
had to worry about it because my EDI users had no shell accounts.

FWIW, there isn't much in the X-modem stuff to break, but Z-modem allowed
pushing of the filename, the aforementioned remote command, and some other
stuff that would be ripe for buffer bugs.

It was definately quicker than building X/Y/Z-modem support from scratch
and from the various conflicting specs and I really appreciated that the
code *worked*, it was just hard to turn into an API and maintain. - Jy@