Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:25:08 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Changing partitions or slices

   I have been using FreeBSD now for about a month, my first
experience with a Unixish system in 25 years. When I installed, I used
the defaults for the slice sizes of my file system. My problem is, the
/ directory keeps filling up, so now I would like to change the size
of the slices.

   My questions are as follow: Is it possible to make a backup of the
system, change the slices, then do a restore to the original system
state? If so, what would be the procedure? In my reading, (Boy,
learning all this new stuff can give an old man a headache!), I have
come away with the impression that the procedure would involve doing a
dump, disklabel, newfs, then restore. Is this the acceptable method?
If not, is there a better one?

   Thanking all of you in advance,

Walter Brameld