Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:05:16 +0200
From:      devet@devet.org (Arjan de Vet)
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PROBLEMS: 4.4-RC3 distribution

In article <20010903202124J.jkh@freebsd.org> you write:

>The third and last release candidate image for FreeBSD 4.4 has been
>uploaded to ftp-master.freebsd.org and is now available from
>ftp.freebsd.org and various other mirror sites.  I realize that this
>leaves us very little time for testing before the release on Wednesday
>(the 5th), but please do your best.  Thank you!

Problems found during FTP-install from ftp.freebsd.org:

- In the partition editor, when editing the newfs options for a
  partition the softupdates flag for that partition gets reset.

- I don't get the DHCP option for setting network parameters anymore,
  this did work in 4.4-RC1.

- The src/scontrib* files give an error during installation, there are
  some weird-sized files on the ftp-site like:

  -r--r--r--  1 1006  1006  2145984 Sep  1 18:55 scontrib.eh
  -r--r--r--  1 1006  1006    66801 Sep  1 18:55 scontrib.en
  -r--r--r--  1 1006  1006  1096775 Sep  1 18:55 scontrib.ex

  The dates on these files are different from the rest of the files too.

- sysinstall went into a 100% CPU-utilization loop for two consecutive
  times during the extraction of sgames chunk 7, stopping the whole
  install process :-(. Most likely due to this weird file:

  -r--r--r--  1 1006  1006  6778448 Sep  1 18:55 sgames.ag

  Note that this is also a weird-sized Sep 1 file, something must have
  gone *seriously* wrong with the file transfers!

  Retried the install a third time with kernel sources only, that worked.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands               <devet@devet.org>