Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:20:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        martin@MiltenyiBiotec.de (Martin)
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

In a previous message, Martin said:
> Hi freeBSD people:
>
> I purchased freeBSD in a bookstore and found it to be great. But I encountered the following problem:
> While trying to install Netscape (for LINUX) the BSD returns with a message that ELF is an unknown binary-format. And while trying to install the german Star-Office package the installation fails due to missing rpm support.
> How can I install these packages?
> I am looking forward to response.

Well, a couple of questions, that probably don't need to be answered after
you read this.

	1) What version of FreeBSD are you using?

	2) Why are you trying to use the Linux version of Netscape? There
is a BSD version, that runs just fine. (Though I wouldn't use the 4.0B5
version in production. It's a BIG PIG).

Now, onto the answers.

	1) Install the BSD netscape version. If it's not in packages,
then you can get it from netscape, it's in the other subdirectory. I generally
get the netscape.....bsd2..... file.

	2) In order to run Star Office, (or Netscape for Linux) you need to
install the linux compatibility package. It is documented quite well in the
Handbook.

Paul.

--
I think that the team that wins game five will win the series.
Unless we lose game five.  -- Charles Barkley