Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 07:49:52 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding diffs to commit-mail on the fly

On 2002-05-31 20:08 -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:32:26PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > >Indeed.  Brain cells shutting down already.  I shouldn't read procmail
> > >rules after I get sleepy.  The 'f' flag of procmail seems like, aw mee
> > >gods, so fine ;-)))
> >
> > Cool.  If I might make another suggestion, you will likely get faster
> > performance and in general make people happier if you only run this
> > script against your own personal mirror of the CVS repo so as not to tie
> > up anoncvs.freebsd.org.
>
> There's a rather serious problem with that idea...  I'm actually not
> sure even anoncvs.freebsd.org will work since I get commit mail pretty
> close to instantly after I do a commit and I know my repository isn't up
> to date by then.  I'd be slightly suprised if anoncvs.freebsd.org was
> either.

Well, yep.  I want to test this with a bunch of good ole' commits logs
first, and make sure it works as expected.  Then the plan is to
integrate this to the CVSROOT scripts of FreeBSD and make sure one can
choose whether diffs are sent by something similar to CVSROOT/access.

If that works reasonably well, then perhaps we can have the following:

cvs-all-diff
	A list like cvs-all is now, where anyone can subscribe and
	receive diff output as long as normal commit logs.  This has
	the advantage that cvs-all remains as it is today, and those
	who want to also get patches in their mailboxen unsubscribe
	from cvs-all and subscribe to cvs-all-diff instead.

committers
	Nothing changed in cvs-all, but let committers get diffs.
	This leaves things unchanged for cvs-all, but lets committers
	receive diffs too, while everyone who is subscribed in cvs-all
	continues to receive shorter mail.  (Bandwidth is not cheap
	for some of the subscribers of cvs-xxx lists, so making them
	receive patches might be an overkill.)

- Giorgos