Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:36:08 +0000
From:      "Dave Cottlehuber" <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        "David Mehler" <dave.mehler@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dealing with DoS - practical tips & tools?

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020, at 15:00, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where do you get your pf blocklists from?

Hi David,

funnily enough this pretty much nailed the layer7 stuff -- for the moment:

curl -#L \
  https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json \
  | jq -reC '.prefixes[].ip_prefix, .ipv6_prefixes[].ipv6_prefix' \
  | sort \
  | uniq \
  > /etc/pf.amazon

> As for an idea try fail2ban see if that helps.

That might be a bit tricky as not a lot of this is HTTP traffic, and logs are
not local to the box, but yes this is worth a look too. Perhaps I can get
info via pflog and feed this in as well.

I've found zeek as well, suricata, & will see if I can get anything useful
out of graylog which we already have in place.

A+
Dave