Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:12:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

Beside the facts that trademarks have to be used in a very specific way:

for example: .NET Passport could not be used as a trademark
	     .NET Passport Online Registration System (or whatever it is)
could be.

I had discussions at length with an IP lawyer about this several months
ago when I was doing research for what would have been the Open Source
Trade Foundation, a non-profit to help manage IP for the Open Source
community.

-Trish

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Roderick writes:
>
> > the status of .net is that it is pending trademark.
> > Federal serial number is 78012936
> > filed: June 15, 2000
>
> Trademarks cannot be pending; either they exist, or they don't.  Only
> trademark _registrations_ can be pending.
>
> The application that you reference appears to be having a bit of trouble;
> given its very broad claim and the absence of a clear history of prior use,
> that would not surprise me.  That may be why Microsoft does not appear to be
> asserting trademark status for it currently (it is not on Microsoft's
> trademark list).
>
> Microsoft doesn't even seem to have tried to register Passport, which is
> probably wise, since a number of other registrations conflict with the one
> they'd probably wish to use.  And here again, MS does not appear to assert
> trademark status for the word, and does not include it on its trademark
> list.

Trish Lynch					trish@bsdunix.net
FreeBSD						The Power to Serve
Ecartis Core Team				trish@listmistress.org