Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:51:59 +0100
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] modular kernel config

--95xjieIIiUQImiTX

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:18:08AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> (from Wed, =20
> 22 Feb 2012 22:31:36 +0000):
>=20
> > On 21. Feb 2012, at 13:35 , Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >
> >> You can download from
> >>  http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/
> >> The files are
> >>  - i386_SMALL
> >>  - i386_SMALL_loader.conf
> >>  - amd64_SMALL
> >>  - amd64_SMALL_loader.conf
> >
> > I only looked at the laoder.conf for amd64 and the only comment I =20
> > have is that I do not have the time to wait minutes for all =20
> > individual modules to be loaded.  This is going to be really bad for =
=20
> > boot time.
>=20
> Well, nobody forces you to use it. And as can be seen on the lists, =20
> there are patches floating around to improve the loading speed of the =20
> loader.

You can also put most of the modules in rc.conf:
kld_list=3D"umass u3g" ...

That speeds up loading the modules a lot.

>=20
> This is also just an example to be on par as much as possible with =20
> GENERIC. People which want to use this kernel most probably want to =20
> cut the loader.conf down and maybe even want to use the rc.conf =20
> setting to load modules which are not needed to boot.

One additional advantage is that you have a bigger chance of a working
suspend / resume. Just unload all problematic modules before suspending
and re-load them after resuming.

--95xjieIIiUQImiTX

--95xjieIIiUQImiTX--