Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:17:58 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp -nat -auto <my ISP>

Did you set the gateway/DNS server info on the win98 machines? The gateway
should be the internal ethernet card in the bsd machine, 192.168.1.1?? You
can use tracert -d internet_ip_address to help diag the problem...

At 03:28 PM 12/19/99 +0000, c.raven@ukonline.co.uk wrote:
>Hi,
>I am having problems with Windows '98 and FreeBSD running ppp -nat.
>
>Basically, The FreeBSD box with the connection is configured to use
>ppp -nat, this works fine for the other FreeBSD boxes on the network, they
>can reach the internet no problem. However, the Win '98 box can't.
>
>The Win '98 box can telnet, FTP and ping the gateway machine but, can't even
>so much as ping any external addresses.
>
>I have set the 'HOSTS' file up in windows, the network card is configured to
>use the bsd box as gateway, they all have the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx and
>mask 255.255.255.0. I have tried setting DNS servers to the gateway box and
>alternatively, the ISP boxes without avail.
>
>I can see the Win'98 box pinging away on the network but its just not
>getting through. Is this a Windows 'known' problem or have I made some major
>boo boo? I read the FAQ, the Handbook and Gregs Complete FreeBSD to no avail
>here.
>
>Any ideas what could be going on?
>

>Chris R.
>

>P.S. Please CC me on any replies, as my total mailing list load means I
>can't stay subscribed to -questions.

Jonathan E. Lyons   				FreeBSD!
parrothd@midwest.net 			CCNA, MCP, MCSE, A+ Certified

http://parrothd.midwest.net/