Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 00:00:18 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Halloween memo - what does it mean?

---Cnet.com was dropped from the CC, didn't think it needed to go to them?---
At 09:44 PM 11/5/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>I have just re-read several portions of the "Halloween Memo," and
>some of the on-line media coverage of it.  While wading through all
>of the hooplah, I came across a nugget of wisdom in a C|Net article
>entitled "Memo angers open source advocates," in which writer Mike
>Ricciuti paraphrases the memo thusly:
>
>"Warning that the growing popularity of Linux and other so-called open
>source software (OSS) poses a direct threat to Microsoft's revenue
>stream..."
>
>Now how many of us here REALLY believe Microsoft is concerned with
>the impact of Linux, Apache, Sendmail, or any other "Open Source
>Software" on their bottom line?  Show of hands?
>
>Yes, Terry, you may go to the bathroom.  Anyone else?  I thought not.

Damn, can I have the pass when he gets back, Mr. Peters?

>So why, you must ask yourself, are we hearing about the "Linux threat"
>daily?  Why is something that has NEVER before popped up on the radar
>screen suddenly become the "talk of the town?"  Why do we suddenly
>have two memos leaked from one of the most paranoid organizations in
>the world, perhaps second only to Intel?  Why indeed!  What is Microsoft
>up to?

I don't hear about it every day.  But pretty close.  I started to hear
about the Linux threat when I was reading up on Caldera's "You can use DR
DOS Under Windows 95, it's just Microsoft sucks" stuff.

>The LAWSUIT, dummy!
>
>I wonder how Mr. Raymond is going to feel, when he wakes up after all
>this is over, faced with his real position in this global power play.
>The Microsoft PR engine, recognizing Mr. Raymond for his rabid
>advocacy and limited foresight, has played him like a Stradivarius.
>They don't even have to conduct the campaign themselves; all they
>have to do is conjure up a fake memo each week, "leak" it to their
>unwitting friend Snark, and let him tell the entire Internet and
>hence the world that Linux is going to clobber Microsoft and render
>them monopoly-less.

Oh yeah, we're going to see the Penguin stomp the Microsoft logo.
Personally I think the 100+ messages regarding the damn thing over the last
week or two in the FreeBSD lists alone is getting rather old.  Does this
really affect FreeBSD?  Not yet.  Could Microsoft eventually affect FreeBSD
and OSS? Maybe.  But I could tell you I'm going to shit on your foot, but
if I do it, it's a totally other thing..

>And that is the point of all this, is it not:  Microsoft cannot have
>a MONOPOLY on desktop computing because all those rabid Linux fans
>out there are giving away their system, right?

Free is the universal solvent.  You can't beat free.  That's why you see
people (Netmarket for instance) giving away free Travel stuff and things
like that.  Because if they give it away, you look at their site, maybe buy
something, sign up, etc.

>I can't wait to see what next week's memo will bring.  Another
>internal memo describing how IE 5.0 will recognize Apache and Netscape
>web servers and respond slower to them, making them look less responsive?
>(Oh, that's right, IE 4.0 *already does this.*)  Extensions to
>Exchange that make it incompatible with mail clients from Netscape
>and Eudora.  But that's already public policy, leaked in this week's
>memo.  Boy, you never know what "innovation" those Microsoft product
>planners will come up with next, do you?

No that's Microsoft's Media Player 2.0 intentionally causing a problem in
which it breaks Realplayer.  Oracle(?) reported issues of this happening
with their software too.

Personally, I think Operating System manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to
make market-competitive applications.  Not if we're just going to have
intentional flukes exploited by installing Exchange and Eudora on a machine
or something like that.

Microsoft is testing the waters for laws that haven't been established.
HOPEFULLY, We will get some standards as to what is correct etiquette and
what is downright bad for competition.

>--
>       "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
>Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
>http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998