Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:55:58 -0700
From:      jdb-lists-freebsd-hackers@layer8.net
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

> Ideally, I would use one of the IDE flash-based drives on the market. One
> brand is SanDisk, and they take a standard IDE connector and fit into a
> 3.5" drive bay. You can get them very reasonably priced up to 128MB or
> so, which is just fine for a boot partition. Since flash drives have no
> moving parts, mechanical failure is not an issue, and since the root
> partition is not written to much, the flash will not wear out for a
> long time (flash cells wear out after about 100,000 writes; the flash
> drives do load balancing and stuff to ensure that the (many) cells in
> the drive are written to evenly).

I would suggest just not writing them at all if you can avoid it.  They
seem to need (and are spec'd for) about 500ms of power after a write
which isn't feasible with some power-off situations.

I've had them occasionally behave worse and develop "bad" sectors under
what i thought to be normal operating conditions (meaning, I thought I
satisfied the above limitation).

The bright side is that reclaiming "bad" sectors is just rewriting
them, but if that's in the middle of something useful, like an inode
for something in /lib, your superblock, the data portion of /etc/passwd,
etc., you're in uncomfortable shape.

I would definitely advocate (and actively use them for) completely
readonly disks, either by running completely readonly straight from
the SanDisk or by keeping a (compressed?) readonly filesystem on the
disk, booting readonly into a bootstrap environment, and copying or
expanding a read/write root disk into a memory-based disk device (MD,
MFS), and calling that your / partition.  it's admittedly a rather
klunky solution for a general purpose install.

It also makes putting /etc on non-volatile media difficult, but it is
still workable with a bit of ingenuity, or maybe by using a small
bootstrap /etc which is remounted with a stable vinum partition (I
haven't actually tried this; implementation is left as an exercise
for the reader).

Another consideration is that they have slow write performance relative
to typical IDE or (especially) memory-based media.

- joel