Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:51:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dialin problems

Greetings yet again,

I don't recall changing anything or running into this problem until
recently, but I've been running into some real trouble with being able to
dial into my FreeBSD box from the outside.  Here's what I have:

Diamond/Supra 33.6K external fax/modem, connected to COM1 (cuaa0)
FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE

The problem is that when I dial in, I hear the modems negotiate, but they
immediately disconnect -- I never even get a "CONNECT" message.  At first
I thought the problem might have been Windows' HyperTerminal program, so I
restarted my NT box into Linux and tried dialing into my FreeBSD box using
Minicom.  Same result.

Here's how I have my dialin connection set up, using a locked-speed port:

First, /etc/gettytab uses this entry:

std.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:

Then I have this line in /etc/ttys:

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt102   on

Following the suggestions in the handbook, I also set the modem on the
FreeBSD box to always report the computer-modem speed (115200) rather than
the modem-modem speed, turned off command echo, turned off verbal result
codes, set the DTR behavior to hang up the modem when it goes low, and set
the Carrier Detect to actually monitor the carrier state (i.e. not be on
all the time).  Nothing seems to be helping, and I'm completely stumped.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to check or try, I'd be glad to
hear them.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!