Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:50:36 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Kevin Keyser <keyser@clio.rice.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:

Kevin Keyser wrote:

> FreeBSD folks,
    [snip]

> The problems I have are:
>
>    1) I have a DEC VT220 terminal that I would like to use on sio0.
>       It is connected with a null modem cable.  I changed the
>       ttyd0 line in /etc/ttys to read:
>
>          ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt220 on secure
>
>       then did a "kill -1 1".  Getty is running after this (according
>       to "ps -ax"), but nothing appears on the terminal except the
>       cursor.  sio0 is recognized at boot time ("sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff
>       irq 4 on isa") and I am able to dial out through it if I connect
>       a modem.
>
>       A) Is there anything else I need to configure in FreeBSD to
>          make it see this terminal?  Such as setting flags on the
>          "device" line in the kernel config file to indicate a soft
>          carrier?
>
>       B) What values need to be specified in the "Set Up" menus on
>          the VT220 terminal itself?  For instance, number of data
>          and stop bits, VT200 mode (7 or 8 bit controls),
>          XOFF (at 64 or 128), etc.

I think your problems is in the "null-modem" cable. Most null modem
cables only have three wires inside. FreeBSD wants more (specifically,
it wants the CD line). Look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook137.html#330
for specifics (especially the section on cables).

If you make (or get) a full null-modem cable, you should set the VT220
to hardware flow control (not XON/XOFF). If you want to use the
(probably partial) cable you have, you may use cuaa instead of ttyd and
XON/XOFF, but beware: some programs don't like this (pine for one will
need special setup, and pico will not work at all).

   [snip]

> Thanks for your time.  I appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> Kevin Keyser
> keyser@clio.rice.edu

Nadav