Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:56:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Bailey <cometman_98@yahoo.com>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphical Shell (my ideas)

---Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net> wrote:
 I was thinking....okay, there's a Bourne shell, C shell, Korn
> shell, etc.  Why wasn't a graphical shell created?  A Graph Shell
perhaps?

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Or at least worth
a debate.  Here's my inner monologue.  Please realize
that my progress is super slow ("permanent newbie")
& my attainment very minimal, so my conclusions are subject to change.

Against:
Because I couldn't do anything, I have been learning all kinds of
stuff about operating systems and programming.  One day I might even
make some money doing it (recouping the investment)
If it were easy to use I would probably just be using applications
programs on the GUI shell.

For:
It would be nice to not have to know everything
before you can do anything.  I am still messing with
getting ppp set-up

digression  (I can access the modem & make it
dial: that took about a year. (thank goodness for the day job) I can
call the ISP and login.  Once I even got a response that seemed to
indicate ppp was working.  But then, are you supposed to be able to
fire up Lynx on another terminal?  I tried and Lynx didn't seem to
know there was an internet connection open.  The FAQs and the Handbook
and the man all kind of stop when ppp is connected, so it must be
obvious to most people.)
end digression

and although I got X to work there are
a million things to set up and frankly I'm daunted.  I'm going to work
through my reference books using the command line & vi, but it seems
sometimes like a honking great shame that there isn't something as
easy as W95 setup wizard and "dial-up networking" to get the pretty
pictures & follow the mailing lists using FreeBSD instead of
Windows95.

Conclusion:
At this stage, I have invested so much in books
and classes that I am going to plug away at my
own slow speed until I get everything working.
Then I will write things like GUI shells for my
own use & put them on my web site (when I have a
web site) for anybody to use.  I would have downloaded a FreeBSD
"dial-up networking" a la W95
a year ago.  Now I have a need to figure it out
myself.  A command line and lynx still have a lot to
teach me.  (Finally got lynx able to browse the
/usr/share/doc stuff & it feels good. It will feel
even better when I can post without using W95)

Peace,

Michael Lee Bailey