Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2020 06:46:02 -0800
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        Mario Olofo <mario.olofo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on M.2 SSD

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 11:18:08PM -0300, Mario Olofo wrote:
> Some time ago I tried to switch from Linux to FreeBSD 12.1, used a WiFi
> dongle and all good, until I found that both ZFS and UFS corrupted the
> filesystem very fast.
> I work with a lot of small files because of web programming (node_modules),
> so after a clean install, after installing the dependencies for my project,
> if I scrub the zpool, it always found that the system is corrupted and
> never recover.
>
> I have a WD Green M.2 SSD 480GB WDS480G2G0B.
> Both Linux and Windows work correctly and don't detect any problems with
> the disk.
>
> Did someone knows if it isn't supported by FreeBSD or there's some specific
> configuration params that I need to set to it work correctly?
>
> I made a post on the forums back in the day I had the problem, the logs I
> had are all there:
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fixing-metadata-errors-after-zfs-clear-zfs-scrub.72139/

  Can't answer your WD Green question specifically, but I'm happy with my
setup, below.  Good to look for quirks, but you probably also want to list
other hardware involved as well (which might have it's own quirks).  If you've
had good success (and no corruption) with two other operating systems on the
same hardware, I'd probably be looking at software and/or drivers, and that
requires knowledge of the hardware.

  I've got dual EVOs (below is just from one I'm typing on) on two different
FreeBSD boxes.  Nothing specific I had to do in FreeBSD, although on the other
motherboard I had to tweak the motherboard settings to give it the channels it
needed to shine.

	kernel: nvd0: <Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB> NVMe namespace
	kernel: nvd0: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors)
	kernel: nvd1: <Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB> NVMe namespace
	kernel: nvd1: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors)

  If compiling kernel and packages from source count as having lots of little
files, then I do as well.  I think I'm ZFS everywhere (boot partition being
the question over time).

  Personally, the only ZFS corruption I've had over time has been caused by
bad hardware.  When I moved the disks to another box, they were fine with
the same version of FreeBSD.  I scrub my zpool about once a month just because,
plus after I get the kernel to crash.

  The original box went all the way back to root-on-ZFS + FreeBSD 11.  The
newer box just started around 12.0 (2019-05-31).