Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 19:40:28 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fsck trashes / if no /lost+found?

I am running SNAP-950322.  I crashed hard, and on the way up, fsck tried to
reconnect a file when fsck'ing /usr.  Apparently, for some reason there was
no /usr/lost+found, and fsck printed an error something like "no room in /"
when it said it was trying to create it.  The fsck failed, and when I fsck'd
manually it said there was no /, and it ended up reconnecting all the
directories in /lost+found (after creating /lost+found).

I managed to reconnect most everything where it belongs, but having to
recreate /usr from /usr/lost+found is not something you want to do every
day.  I don't know enough about the ffs code myself to fix this, but if
someone feels like looking into fsck's behavior in this case it might be
a good idea.

(Of course, it's entirely possible that going down hard actually did trash
/usr's /, but I'm not convinced.)

  Bill