Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:43:18 +0200
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about/issues with new OPTIONS framework

On 2012-08-06 18:04, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> (Please keep me CC'd, as I'm not subscribed to the list)
>
> I've been trying to adapt my /etc/make.conf to make use of the new
> OPTIONS framework.  I've run into some snags that I was hoping someone
> could help me with, as I'm unable to find any "official" documentation
> other than these two documents, which don't help me in this case:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/Options/OptionsNG
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-options.html
>
> Below are my questions so far.  Note that these questions are all
> preceded by a key fact: /var/db/ports/* is completely empty.  Keep that
> in mind please.
>
> 1. databases/mysql55-server and databases/mysql55-client both ask for
> the same variables (OPENSSL and FASTMTX).  I want FASTMTX to be enabled
> by default for both ports.
>
> When I have the following in /etc/make.conf:
>
> mysql_SET=	FASTMTX
>
> Doing "make config" in databases/mysql55-server shows FASTMTX as checked
> (which is correct).  However, when I do the exact same procedure in
> databases/mysql55-client, FASTMTX is not checked.
>
> I am aware that databases/mysql55-client is a slave port, but I'm not
> sure how/why that would matter...?
>
> What am I doing wrong, or is this a port bug which needs to be fixed by
> the maintainer?
>
> 2. ports/KNOBS is very explicit in stating, and even visually

2) alredy answerd ...

answer for question 1)

$> cd mysql55-client && make -V UNIQUENAME
or
$> make -V UNIQUENAME -C /usr/ports/databases/mysql55-client/
 mysql55-client

make.conf entry constructed from UNIQUENAME
 mysql55-client_SET+=	FASTMTX

Please note the '+=' instead '='.
If you have a port where you set more then on option but not as one expression
all ${UNIQUENAME}_SET+= are applied else only the last entry in make.conf.

Additional if you have done `make config' already, then your make.conf entry
is useless since with options NG the OPTIONSFILE has now a higher priority.