Date:      24 Nov 2002 11:26:05 +0100
From:      Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>
To:        "Martin Guindon" <slipstream@dimension-8.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE?

"Martin Guindon" <slipstream@dimension-8.net> writes:

> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html) and
> created the following ppp.conf:
>
> # ppp.conf
> default:
> set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
> set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0

[...]

I believe that there is a violation of the ppp.conf syntax here. As
stated in `man ppp':
o   A command line must contain a space or tab in the first column.

> When I dial (ppp -ddial igs), I get no error output,

You should get a log, at least. Please have a look at your
/var/log/ppp.log or whatever file you have configured in your
/etc/syslog.conf file.

If you have successfully connected, you will be able to see a tunel
with a valid IP address in the `ifconfig' output.

> or ping something I get a no route to host.

You may need a line
 enable dns
in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file as well.

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.7 so from what I understand there is nothing special to
> do in the kernel.

options         NETGRAPH                #netgraph(4) system
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET
pseudo-device   tun 1                   # Packet tunnel

That's what I have in my kernel config.

Hope this helps.

--
Alexander Pohoyda