Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:21:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load Averages

I still fail to see why my systems loads went from
1.50 - 2.00. There's over 250 processes constantly
running in "select" state. Loads are now almost always
0.00 and sometimes touching 0.10

I'm confused as to what problem this solved besides
creating problems.. Now I have no idea what the real
system load is. Surely 0.00 load is not proper for a
system running so many things.

Reason being I use load averages to determine if a
computer needs upgrading. When things go above a
constant 2.00 or higher it either means upgrade to
better hardware or reduce the amount of things running
on that server to another server.

Maybe i'm missing something.. but this seems to only
have broken things not fixed anything..

Please enlighten me.

Holt