Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2023 05:58:55 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
From:      Alexander Burke <alex@alexburke.ca>
To:        James Miller <jimomak@os3.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email Client
References:  <193608ac-6428-447b-bfb1-271dc6bec6e4@OS3> <20231122135515.jhp4l3yg37u7v6vv@pureos> <63ye4abejnwve5lcaglcyelyzzuj4k6na2bvrvibu4zxa5gktv@abqdiks27dly> <CAAdA2WMG2h1bh6_gv8DjXF8YBRziLtousSDXn_k%2BtXZAG2cO9A@mail.gmail.com> <CAEctfJKQd64RxwWKGrfwvsZJBr%2B2P1aP=VC%2Brrs-A-WHrQojGQ@mail.gmail.com> <ZV2xe4LHRsjQAo5k@pureos> <ilrfwecveoz5pi2qp3qwb4w5rr2osqe6imnkwljjp5nh77tysh@46yd4pfymg5e> <ZV6_wHDWBBIuq2Zd@rain.cave> <6ca9a334-f1b3-448b-848b-00fc3be86476@OS3>

------=_Part_4_225472919.1700801935917

Hi James,

As someone already mentioned, you simply send a blank email to:

Cheers,
Alex
ail as it says that it belongs to some one else. So i can only assume that =
my identity has been hacked by some one in freebsd or using freebsd, and is=
 spamming my email server. I would just love to be free of 'freebsd'. Since=
 there is no 'central' authority at freebsd, I can only appeal to the 'many=
', hoping there is 'heart' in someone to find resolution, so I can be 'free=
' of 'freebsd'. God=C2=A0 Bless.
>=20
>> I have a RaspberryPi 4 that was running 13.1 that I tried to upgrade to =
14 using freebsd-update.  The first thing I did was a freebsd-update fetch =
and then install to get the latest.  Then the upgrade to 14.0.
>>  =20
>> I got the 3 messages about things not being a directory.  I thought that=
 the latest update to freebsd-update would have fixed that.
>>  =20
>> After quite a while, everything appeared to be hung.  Upon plugging in a=
 display, I got messages about ZFS.  This system is using UFS.  Nothing app=
eared to be going on.  I rebooted the system and reran the freebsd-update i=
nstall.  Got the 3 previous messages again.  However, near the end I got a =
lot of messages:
>>  =20
>> /var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/rc.d/<filename> no such file or directory.
>>  =20
>> Install finished and the system seems to work.  I am wondering if instal=
l got partially complete and those last messages are for things that were i=
nstalled the first time.   =20
>>  =20
>> After rebooting and running intstall again, I used the fix from Bug 2736=
61 and that seems to work.  i don't use C++ so not sure.  I have a few more=
 13.1 systems to upgrade and would like to avoid these problems.
>=20
> It gets more interesting.  pkg upgrade doesn't work. No idea what is caus=
ing the problem or how to fix it.
>=20
> # pkg upgrade
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01     =20
> Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    7 MiB   6.9MB/s    00:01     =20
> pkg: Error extracting the archive: 'Write error'
> pkg: No signature found
> Unable to update repository FreeBSD
> Error updating repositories!
> =C2=A0
> =C2=A0
> =C2=A0James Miller
> (425) 471-8101
> www.electionhope.com[http://www.electionhope.com]
> www.os3.org[http://www.os3.org]
> "If the mind is blind, the eye cannot see"
> =C2=A0
> On 2023-11-22 18:58, Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 05:29:20PM -0800, James Miller wrote:
>=20
>>How do I unsubscribe to this thread. You are all wonderful, but my=20
>>email servier is flooded with freebsd and I don't know why? God Bless
>=20
> Every message from this list has several headers List-*:, including this:
>=20
>=20

------=_Part_4_225472919.1700801935917

 <head>
 </head>
    <hr>
     this is a cut/paste of an email. One of hundreds daily that I get. Never do I get an 'unsubscribe' set of text. I have searched all of 'freebsd' for such a place to unsubscribe. Neither can I 'create an account' using my email as it says that it belongs to some one else. So i can only assume that my identity has been hacked by some one in freebsd or using freebsd, and is spamming my email server. I would just love to be free of 'freebsd'. Since there is no 'central' authority at freebsd, I can only appeal to the 'many', hoping there is 'heart' in someone to find resolution, so I can be 'free' of 'freebsd'. God&nbsp; Bless.
     <pre>&gt; I have a RaspberryPi 4 that was running 13.1 that I tried to upgrade to 14 using freebsd-update.  The first thing I did was a freebsd-update fetch and then install to get the latest.  Then the upgrade to 14.0.
&gt;
&gt; I got the 3 messages about things not being a directory.  I thought that the latest update to freebsd-update would have fixed that.
&gt;
&gt; After quite a while, everything appeared to be hung.  Upon plugging in a display, I got messages about ZFS.  This system is using UFS.  Nothing appeared to be going on.  I rebooted the system and reran the freebsd-update install.  Got the 3 previous messages again.  However, near the end I got a lot of messages:
&gt;
&gt; /var/db/etcupdate/current/etc/rc.d/&lt;filename&gt; no such file or directory.
&gt;
&gt; Install finished and the system seems to work.  I am wondering if install got partially complete and those last messages are for things that were installed the first time.
&gt;
&gt; After rebooting and running intstall again, I used the fix from Bug 273661 and that seems to work.  i don't use C++ so not sure.  I have a few more 13.1 systems to upgrade and would like to avoid these problems.

It gets more interesting.  pkg upgrade doesn't work. No idea what is causing the problem or how to fix it.

# pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    7 MiB   6.9MB/s    00:01
pkg: Error extracting the archive: 'Write error'
pkg: No signature found
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!</pre>
     &nbsp;