Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:33:22 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, avg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS default compression algo for contemporary FreeBSD versions

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On 2013-Jul-04 16:21:37 +0300, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com> wrote:
>04.07.2013 15:22, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>> Collegues,
>>
>> is it sane to just set 'zfs compression=3Don dataset' to achieve best al=
go on
>> fresh FreeBSD systems (-current and/or stable/9)?

You need to define what you mean by "best".  Using gzip9 generally
gives the smallest on-disk size but uses significant amounts of CPU
time at quite high priority.

> Default compression is still lzjb and=20

True

>bootloader can't boot oof datasets compressed with lzjb.

What gave you that idea?  I've been booting FreeBSD off lzjb-compressed
pools for something like 5 years.  AFAIK, you can't use gzip (or you
couldn't when I last tried).

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4