Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:28:40 +0100
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hans.ottevanger@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Superfluous dependencies

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Michael Scheidell
<michael.scheidell@secnap.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/11 4:42 AM, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
>>
>> One of them that I already hunted down is bison-2.4.3,1 that gets
>> dragged in via gobject-introspection-0.9.12_1 when installing
>> xorg-7,5.1 (even as a package). This is caused by bison specified as a
>> dependency of type "both" in the port Makefile of
>> gobject-introspection where it should be specified as "build". I don't
>> think that Bison is used on run-time here and most likely not even on
>> build- time.
>
> appears one of our 'short cuts' causes this. =A0and I found it on a port =
> took over maint of.
>
> happens all the time if you do a 'RUN_DEPENDS +=3D BUILD_DEPENDS'
>
> pulls in all kind of cruft.

Indeed I see this 'shortcut' being used all over the place. But in the
cases I have looked into the last few days, i.e. the xorg-7.5.1 and
kde-lite-3.5.10_8 ports, the problem is just a trivial, but slightly
different. It appears that in many occasions USE_PYTHON and USE_PERL
are specified in situations where I think USE_PYTHON_BUILD and
USE_PERL_BUILD, respectively, would suffice.

By making a few trivial changes i can make xorg-7.5.1 fully
independent on run-time of Python, Perl and Bison. The same can be
done for kde-lite-3.5.10_8 when I also disable the Perl support in
net-snmp, which is a dependency of kdeutils-3.5.10_8.

If anybody is interested I could consolidate my results and post a few patc=
hes.

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger

]...]