Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:00:42 +0200
From:      dxoch <dxoch@escape.gr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Backup + Dump + floppies = problem!

Hi there,
After reading the Handbook and other resources i came to the
conclusion that dump is maybe the most reliable solution for
making backups on a FreeBSD Box.I also understood that is
much better to perform the backup procedure on unmounted
filesystems. But...

I dont want to use a spare hard disk to boot from, because it
is not practical, and i have boxes that can not boot from
a CDROM. So, in order to perform a backup with dump, i must
use floppies...

I used the kern and mfsroot floppies in order to boot and run
the sysinstall program. Then I chooosed fixit from the menu
and i inserted the fixit floppy. Then I came into the following
situation:

1) Fixit floppy does not contain the dump program.
2) Fixit floppy is more than full, df gives:
 /dev/fd0         1363     1305      -51   104%    /mnt
3) After removing view and ex, df again gives:
 /dev/fd0         1363     1305      -51   104%    /mnt
 and dump cannot be added.
4) All files (exept dirs) in the fixit floppy have the same
 size of 1215072 bytes. The original sizes are:
 dump: 331452, view: 279876, ex: 279876
5) Fixit floppy cannot be unmounted (So that I can use an
 other floppy)
6) The kern floppy is also super-full, but files in it have
 arbitrary sizes. df gives:
 /dev/fd0         1407     1353      -58   105%    /mnt

My questions are:
- Is it OK for a floppy to be more than 100% full?
- Can I add or remove files on the fixit floppy and how?
- Can I unmount the fixit floppy somehow, when i am in
 the fixit shell?
- Is there an easier/better way to do some/all of the above?
- Does anybody know a way to exclude a directory when using
dump to backup a filesystem. I didnt found anything helpfull
in the man pages.

If some of the above questions are cuvered somewere, please
give me a pointer.

Thanks for your help.
Jim Xochellis.