Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 20:41:53 -0400
From:      "Deepak Jain" <deepak@ai.net>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>, "D J Hawkey Jr" <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        "Alexander Langer" <alex@big.endian.de>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Kernel-loadable Root Kits

Presumably, a user in userland has root to be loading a kernel module in the
first place.

This user could easily edit the rc.conf file to boot up in securelevel=-1
and reboot the machine -- as well as circumvent most notifications about the
reboot.

Hell, if I wanted to compromise a box, screwing the kernel directly is the
way to go. Especially for remotely administered boxes, there is almost no
downside.

Deepak Jain
AiNET