Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:25:58 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TheRegister article on Hotmail

Ceri writes:

> The rest of your mail was about Exchange and
> how it isn't suited to Hotmail, which nobody
> said anyway.

If they are converting Hotmail mail servers to Windows, they are converting
to Exchange.  Microsoft really doesn't have any other e-mail products worth
mentioning; they put pretty much all their eggs into one basket with
Exchange.  Besides, there wouldn't be much point (ideologically or
technically) to converting to Windows just to run a Windows version of
sendmail.

If they are still running Apache on the front-end, that very much surprises
me, as I had understood that they went to IIS for the front end long ago.
The corporate site (microsoft.com) has been on IIS for ages; it takes a
tremendous amount of hardware to do the job, especially given the penchant
of Microsoft to make every single last page on the Web site an ASP page
(such that the servers spend a great deal of their time executing scripts),
but it can be done.  Despite all that hardware, Microsoft's site is
invariably slow to respond, probably because of the six billion lines of
VBScript and Javascript that it must execute on the server for each page
served.  (I sometimes get the impression that, from Microsoft's standpoint,
a mere document containing only data is somehow unacceptable, and everything
must also contain executable code before it is satisfactory--clearly
developers rule in some respects at MS!)

Anyway, converting from UNIX to Windows makes no sense for high-volume,
dedicated server farms with critical uptime requirements.  It does make
sense in some other environments, where other considerations are paramount
(ease of use for the uninitiated, flexibility and features, GUI support,
etc.).

Conversely, though, converting from Windows to UNIX on the desktop is just
as absurd as doing the opposite on the server, and the fact that many people
try it anyway just proves that there are irrational and fanatical people on
both sides of the fence.