Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 18:12:35 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic with 2.2-STABLE when running an XFree86 dga app

Last night my 2.2 machine (kernel from about 4 weeks ago) paniced when
exiting an XFree86 'dga' program.  For those that don't know, 'dga' clients
mmap the video framebuffer directly rather than accessing it via the
Xserver.  I'm guessing that the panic happened when it was unmapping the
framebuffer (the code doesn't explicitly call munmap() for this, it just
exits).

The panic message was:

fault virtual address   = 0xf3531ffd
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01ba717
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffed8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffef4
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 9630 (tex)
interrupt mask          =
panic: page fault

Symbols around 0xf01ba717 are:

f01ba648 T _pmap_protect
f01ba7ac T _pmap_enter

so I'd guess it paniced in pmap_protect.

If any further information is required, let me know.

David