Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:04:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      hburch@lumeta.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/25255: keyboard response very slow with PCMCIA Ethernet card in

>Number:         25255
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       keyboard response very slow with PCMCIA Ethernet card in
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD halport.pc.cs.cmu.edu 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1: Tue Jan 30 14:34:30 EST 2001     hburch@hal-port.research.bell-labs.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/LOCAL  i386

On a IBM 600X laptop, the keyboard response becomes very long (1/2-1
sec) when I have an Ethernet card installed (and powered).  The problem
is not when the card is initially installed, but minutes to hours
later.  The time delay depend on the network it is on, and varies
fairly widely.  The delay only occurs when I type quickly (my typing
speed is 5-8 presses per second)

Case #1: 30-40 packet per second on network, minimal network usage
  Time delay: 8 minutes - 1 hour

Case #2: <.8 packets per second, more extensive network usage
  Time delay: 4+ hours

Case #3: <.8 packets per second background, LARGE network usage
  With my computer sending ~200 packets per second (using both BPF to
  receive & raw sockets to send), the machine becomes practically
  unusable within a minute.

The problem is intermittant, with no pattern I can recognize on whether,
but it seems to generally last 5-10 minutes.

I use both BPF and raw sockets, which is probably a little unusual,
but whether or not I'm using them at the time does not seem to matter.

My uptime is pegged at 0.00.

The keyboard also losses key presses if I continue to type quickly,
but as they do not appear to be lost if I type slowly, this is probably
due to the keyboard buffer becoming full, not a direct problem.  Bucky
key releases appear to be lost as well.

Mouse is still responsive.
>How-To-Repeat:
I have not tested this on similar laptops, but generically, plug in an PCMCIA Ethernet card and send packets quickly.