Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:08:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Summary: shopping for new video adapter

On Tue,  7 April 1998 at 23:30:59 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>> On Tue,  7 April 1998 at 22:05:12 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
>>> How so? Personally I never had more than 4 monitors on one Mac. Decided
>>> I was getting irradiated too much. Installation was trivial, simply
>>> plugged another Nubus card in, connected the monitor, and on power up
>>> the Mac guessed where to put the new monitor in relationship to the
>>> others. A little shuffling around in the Monitors Control Panel informed
>>> the Mac where I had phyically placed the new one in relation to the
>>> others.
>>
>> How did you arrange them?  I have a 20" monitor I would like to add to
>> my machine, but I can't figure out where to put it.
>
> Had the two 19" monitors side by side.
>
> (snip)

Ah, your requirements are different.  I currently have a 17" on the
floor below the desk to my left, but I only turn it on if the system
it is connected to feels unhappy.  Otherwise I have the 2 21" monitors
side by side, and I wouldn't want to spread them.  The only
possibility I can think of is to put the third (20") above, but that
would mean looking a long way up.

> Have never used a multi-headed X server. How does it establish the
> relationship between monitors?

unix:0.0 and unix:0.1.  The config file contains a section for each
monitor, and the numbers are assigned in the order in which they
appear in the config file.

> How do you move the mouse from one to the next?

Sideways.  There's a sideways wraparound.  This makes virtual screens
(larger display than glass, and panning) a real pain, if it wasn't
before.  Otherwise, though, it runs fine.

> On the Mac, the mouse simply slides from monitor to monitor.

That's the way.

> If there is not a monitor adjacent to the edge you try to move the
> mouse off, then the mouse doesn't move off the desktop.

XiG has (or had, at the time) wraparound.  I don't think it's a good
idea, and I said so to Thomas Röll, who agreed and said he was going
to change it.

> Fun thing to do is split a window between multiple monitors. Type
> right off one monitor onto the next. If one wants to see what
> something looked like in monochrome and color, that window could be
> placed half on one, half on the other, for instant results.

:-)

XiG can't (couldn't) do that.

Greg