Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible Commercial app for FreeBSD.

>Nothing, but more is better.

[ DELETED ]

>Since they displayed a willingness to port to Linux, I was figuring they
>may be open to other OS's as well, which isn't going to happen with Oracle
>or Sybase and friends.

I have seen the SCO version of Oracle running on FreeBSD. Granted I did'nt
try testing it to see how well it worked but it is a start. Perhaps we
should start a campaign to see if we can get Oracle or Sybase to do a port
to FreeBSD. No, I am not holding my breath. :-)

>On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 17:23:40 -0700
>> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>> To: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
>> Cc: hackers@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Possible Commercial app for FreeBSD.
>>
>> > There's a need for a good DB for FreeBSD (don't give me the MSQL spiel, I
>> > have it, but it's not real).

I have tryed to work with MSQL. Try loading 750,000 records into MSQL and
see what happens. It's not a pretty sight.

>> Uh, what's wrong with this product:	http://www.conetic.com/
>>
>> They've been in our commercial pages for a long time.
>>
>> 						Jordan

Don't know about C/BASE so I will not comment. There is also C-Tree. I have
used it on a number of projects using FreeBSD. It's not bad. The down side
is that C-Tree is a library of ISAM routines not a RDB. It has also gotten
very expensive in the last year. It's now around US$900.00. When I bought
it it was US$200.00. I understand that company that makes C-Tree (the name
escapes me just now) has an SQL server but I have not worked with it and I
think it cost around US$2,000.00.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.5
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses