Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2015 13:00:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   repeated fsck_ffs error: update

I accidentally hit the Reset button when trying to push the DVD drive tray button, a finger error easy to make on the NZXT Zero2 (now superseded by newer models) case.

When rebooting, file system checks repaired root partition successfully, but I was unable to mount the desired home partition.

My command was
fsck_ffs -y /dev/gpt/Sea1-06

I ran it repeatedly (first without -y) and seemed to get partial fix, was able to mount read-only and rsync to another directory on another partition.

Latter part of message that came repeatedly, so there was no point in running fsck any more:

CYLINDER GROUP 356: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
REBUILD CYLINDER GROUP? yes

CYLINDER GROUP 357: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
REBUILD CYLINDER GROUP? yes

CYLINDER GROUP 358: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
REBUILD CYLINDER GROUP? yes

CYLINDER GROUP 359: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
REBUILD CYLINDER GROUP? yes

** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
UNREF FILE  I=3  OWNER=root MODE=100000
SIZE=67108864 MTIME=Jun 24 04:22 2014
RECONNECT? yes

NO lost+found DIRECTORY
CREATE? yes

CYLINDER GROUP 0: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
REBUILD CYLINDER GROUP? yes

fsck_ffs: bad inode number 0 to ginode

Now what is that last line about bad inode number 0 to ginode, and is there any way around?

Do I need to reformat and rsync back?

I can also boot my NetBSD installation from last June (current, 6.99.44 amd64) and run NetBSD's fsck_ffs from there.

Even if that really messes up, I still have the rsync copy to rsync back from.

Update: I booted the NetBSD installation, ran
fsck_ffs -y /dev/dk5
got the message that the filesystem was clean, no need to fsck.

I subsequently booted back into FreeBSD and successfuly mounted that partition.

Maybe the reboot was needed to clean some bad stuff out of memory.

In answer to Eduardo Morras's question, I didn't run single-user, but ran fsck_ffs with the partition not mounted.

So now the problem appears solved.

Tom