Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:59:45 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Collecting entropy from device_attach() times.

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 01:20:32 +0200
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> writes:
> > They key will therefore *accumulate* entropy across multiple
> > reseeds.
>=20
> Forgot to address this.  By definition, there can never be more
> entropy in Yarrow than the key size.  So it *does* throw away entropy
> in the sense that if it accumulated, say, 900 bits of entropy
> pre-boot (to pick one of the numbers Pawel cited), 650 of them are
> wasted.

I got fed up up of adding "up to 256 bits" and thought I could take it
as read. Since the generator can only hold 256 bits and is secure well
under that it doesn't really matter very much. Yarrow can't really be
said to waste entropy since replacing entropy in the generator in a
controlled way is what give it its ability to recover from compromise
and break state extension attacks.

If we're going to be pedantic it's only the generator that's limited
to 256 bits, yarrow as a whole can accumulate up to 3x256 bits because
the pools are not cleared on reseeds. There is some slight advantage in
this, for example it means that two consecutive keys can be completely
independent even on a fast reseed with a low value of
kern.random.yarrow.fastthresh.