Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:28:04 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   DL360 server acting ... odd ...

I posted something to the HP Forums about this, see if I get anything over the
weekend, but figured I'd pop a note to the list to see if anyone else has
experienced something like this ... its not a FreeBSD issue, since its not
getting to that point yet ...

Here's what I've posted to the Forums ... maybe someone here has an idea?
Or do I have a bad server?

============
  Just picked up one of these things, and its a beauty ... but I'm getting
*really* odd behaviour ...

I login through iLO, open up Remote Console then go to Virtual Devices to
power up ... but all that seems to happen is it goes from:

Monitored Server Is Powered Down.

to:

Monitored Server Console Is In An Unsupported Text Mode.

And then just sits there ... eventually, I hear two beeps come out of it

The reason why this is odd ... I've already powered this server up,
installed an operating system on it, rebooted several times, everything
was great ... I unplugged the server from the wall (those fans can be
annoying) two days ago, haven't moved the server ... just plugged it back
in today to do some more work on it ...

I'm at a loss ... she was working great :(

Kinda makes me nervous to deploy it ...

What should I be looking at?

thanks ...
==========

Followed up by:

=========

k, this is odd ... I took the cover off of the box, since there are
'flashing lights' on the inside ... plug'd it back in, boots fine ...
replug in the power supplies again, doesn't boot fine ...

when it boots fine, its consistent ... I can be in iLO and type 'power
off' / 'power on' all I want and it boots fine ... when it doesn't boot,
it never boots ...

power seems to be fine in all cases ... fans all power up, drives power
up, and lights flicker on the RAID controller ...

The one thing that has botherd me though ... the 'charging' light on the
RAID controller always appears on ... bad battery? or is this normal?
==========

Right now, after unplugging it from the wall and back in again, I've got
the server booted up and in the OS, and it seems to be running nicely ...
if I shut it down, and try unplugging it from the wall and back in again,
it has a 50-50 chance of booting ...

Everything seems okay, even when it doesn't boot ... I can get into iLO, I
can do 'power on' and hear the fans all wind up, and the drive lights all
come on ... but it does those 2 beeps after a period of time, and no POST
screen, no nothing ...

When I first set it up, my first thought was memory, so I pulled them all
out, no difference ... re-seated them all and it booted ... so, at that
time, I figured I must have not seated them right the first time and all
was well ...

Thoughts / ideas?

----