Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:12:56 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending mail to this list

en Conrad wrote:

>> 1) The name the mailserver announces in it's HELO line must resolve via
>>    forward DNS.  It doesn't matter to what, it just has to resolve.
>> 2) The IP of the server must reverse resolve to something, it doesn't
>>    matter to what: except that that name is then tested on a forward
>>    DNS check, which must work.

This is actually in the FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#FREEBSD-MAIL-BOUNCES

>> My understanding is that these simple tests block thousands of spam
>> emails per second!
>
> per hour, not per second.

Either way ... pretty good statistics.

>> The most common mistake I've seen people make is to add multiple reverse
>> DNS records (when the machine has multiple forward DNS records)  Most
>> DNS servers will allow you to do this, but it doesn't work.
>
> DNS works fine having a set of PTR records per ip.  What doesn't work is
> that applications that query for PTR records only use the physically
> first PTR record returned in the DNS responce packet, which, due to
> caching, is uncontrollable.

Which means that the system (effectively) doesn't work with multiple PTR
records, which was all I was trying to say.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies