Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:00:50 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Admin <fbsd@mohawk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to track stable

FreeBSD Admin wrote:

> Can someone point me to a clear step-by-step explanation of how to do
> this? I have cvsup'd the stable sources and the ports, but now what?

1.  Set KERNCONF=FOO in /etc/make.conf, where FOO is the name of your kernel.
2.  cvsup, you say you've done that bit.
3.  # cd /usr/src
    # make buildworld buildkernel
    # mergemaster      (may as well do that while build is running)
    # shutdown now     (go to single user mode)
    # make installworld installkernel
    # reboot

That should be all you need to do, it normally just works though things
can go wrong.  Probably best to wait a bit to see if anyone points out
something blatantly obvious that I've missed.  Anything important you
need to do when updating should be listed in /usr/src/UPDATING, so read
that.

As for ports, most of them should just keep working but you can
recompile your installed ports if you want.  Things like lsof, if you
have it installed, *will* need recompiling because it deals with the
kernel very closely (same reason ps, top, etc, need to be recompiled for
a new kernel).

Good luck!

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org