Date:      Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:54:17 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another acpi_thermal nit

> Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:35:40 +0900
> From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
>
> Hi,

> nate> Our acpi_thermal code switches between active and passive cooling
> nate> strategies when going off battery power.  So it is likely that your
> nate> system only uses passive cooling so aggressively when offline.
>
> In current implementation, passive cooling is always enabled.  But, I
> believe that _PSV has higher value than _ACx in usual.  Thus, when AC
> is online, active cooling is preferred.
>
> My understanding is that passive cooling became active with AC online,
> then became AC offline during passive cooling is active in his case.
> I cannot understand why passive cooling is active so aggressively even
> when AC online.  I suspect that his laptop doesn't have any fan, or
> his fan couldn't be active due to some reason.

Yes, I have a fan and, yes, it is active. The T30 implements _PSV, but
not _ACx. The fan is totally under the control of BIOS and ACPI can't
touch it. (Nor can anything else. It's not configurable.) My fan is
blowing at top speed when thermal kicks in. Even with the CPU at 44C,
the fan speed is oscillating between about 3640 and 3770 RPM. At about
75C it jumps to about 4140 and kicks up to about 4550 at about
86C. Interestingly enough, the top speed kicks in at the same time as
_PSV and acpi_thermal do. Seems odd.

The above was with the AC connected, but a quick check with AC
disconnected shows no real difference.

For the record, _PSV is 86.5, _CRT is 94, _HOT is -1 and all _ACx values
are -1.

This unit, for some reason, runs VERY hot. Just thinking about it, it
seems to have started running hotter after I had the mobo replaced about
a year ago. I wonder if something in the CPU heat sink is messed up. I
hate to have to open it up, but I'm tempted.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)