Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 10:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Laptop CDROM not recognized by Sysinstall.

I have a Dell Latitude CPx H500 with a slight problem.  The machine boots
fine off the 3.4-R CD, but the kernel doesn't find it during probe, and of
course this presents problems for sysinstall.  I'd install off the
network, but the xe0 driver isn't in the generic kernel, and I can't move
to 4.0-* since xe0 is currently broken.  Anyone have this model of laptop
and been able to get FreeBSD to recognize the CDROM drive?  My old
Latitude CPi R400 worked fine, and from what I can tell, this machine is
almost identical excepting processor, video, and sound.

4.0-R seems to find the CDROM drive okay.  Any ideas?

Jamie Bowden

--

"Of course, that's sort of like asking how other than Marketing,
Microsoft is different from any other software company..."