Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:01:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tweten@frihet.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 on NEC 6030X -- Minor Problems

David E. Tweten stands accused of saying:

> 1) When I log out, and until xdm displays the login widget, a 1/2
> inch strip of colorful garbage replaces the hounds tooth pattern at
> the top of the display.  When the login widget appears, the garbage
> goes away.

This is the video controller being reset; such 'noise' is harmless,
unless it really bothers you I'd just ignore it.

> 2) The "Suspend Button" no longer puts it to sleep.  Other parts of
> the power management package still work.  The screen blanks after a
> period of no use.  The hard disk spins up and down as appropriate.
> Before I installed XFree86 suspend worked, but no more.

The BIOS almost certainly takes one look at the video controller and
swears off being able to restore it, and thus gives up on suspending.
If you switch back to the text console (alt-ctrl-F1), you should be
able to suspend OK.  Then it's just a matter of switching back to the
X display again (alt-ctrl-f4 normally)