Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:09:08 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP address on bridge

Hello,

I'm observing some strange problem when I have an IP address on one card
on a bridge machine and want to telnet in. I have 4.2-RELEASE box with
two network cards: Realtek 8139 (rl0) and 3Com 3C905B (xl0). rl0 is connected
to the world, and xl0 to the intranet switch. FreeBSD handbook says that
I'm allowed to assign an IP address to one of the two interfaces. Okay,
so I assign the address to xl0. But I'm unable to access it from a machine
on xl0 side. arp is found properly, and packets are sent, but somehow
bridge machine just ignores those packets (tcpdump shows nothing).

If I assign IP address to rl0 rather than xl0, it works for short time,
then machine I telnet from says that arp of the bridge is moved to xl0
arp again, and packets get lost. ifconfig rl0 down/up and ping'ing the
machine I telnet from (so it gets proper arp) heals, but for the short time
again.

When I swap network cables on those cards, so that xl0 looks to the world
and rl0 to the intranet, then assigning IP address to rl0 works fine, I'm
always able to telnet in from intranet side.

Is it some bug in the xl0 driver ? Was it already fixed, and would
upgrading to -current solve this problem ? Or is it me who misses
something ?

Regards,
Eugene