Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:30:26 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Rohit Dube <rohit@cs.UMD.EDU>
Cc:        dg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

Before I start hacking... Well, you will be non-conformant and some
equipment will not work. You have to experiment a little and find
out what works. In our case, we had a business reason for trying
it out . I personally had good success with UTP machine to machine;however,
the project call for thin net.

I am sure that Julian can fill in more about TRW's net configuration .

Given that you need a modest increase on the size of the packets,
all what you need is to enable the BIG PACKET option in the driver
and increase the mtu size. My suggestion is to first try two FreeBSD
boxes directly connected with UTP to verify that indeed that
the big packets works.

	Amancio