Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 18:21:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Max Users (fwd)

>> From: Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
>> The initial value of 10 isn't that bad. 250 is _overkill_. It makes
>> certain kernel structures too huge and _kills_ your performcance.
>> I'd choose values of 10-20 depending on the amount of memory
>> you have and the number of users, that will work at the same time
>> on your system.
>
>I don't want to offend Andreas but I think this information might not
>be entirely accurate.  I've been using a setting of 256 for around 8
>months now.  Creating a large swap area, and using a larger maxusers
>parameter has been necessary for me to operate my production internet
>servers.

   I have maxusers = 200 on wcarchive. It's necessary when you have nearly
1000 processes sometimes.

>I do not see a performance hit from this.

   You might see a performance hit if you are tight on memory. If you have
128MB+ of RAM, then it's not going to be a problem. :-)

>I do see a major performance hit when I don't use enough swap space or
>if I don't pump up certain kernel parameters - the system either hangs
>or crashes!

   Yeah, the system should be a bit more graceful...but this is difficult to
engineer.

-DG