Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2012 13:12:00 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 59359513 - Dawn Gray
References:  <CAF6rxg=_v8%2BqStd0vD-eyLOFZNSSV91F6PVW2rUH3uPT=DpojA@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1212020803480.92600@wonkity.com> <CAF6rxgnVrHOzsVo1nyxez6-3nPRFMoYtPNV3zK8CWBMfjp-YaA@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1212021228450.93770@wonkity.com> <CAF6rxgkX9yRrCh4kEnn30G%2BGymbaWbTxJ34ZHoMnufO5AevuJw@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1uNJZCacd3HOJwR%2BEOdAc0E-OhLDHQHi=EhrVu7Ht__Ew@mail.gmail.com> <CAF6rxgmR%2BqCBtPbXTjZgWnJhSBfVkE=yyfgR8QxHSWVMaMuw2g@mail.gmail.com>

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2012 15:08, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that the nVidia chip used is a supported one, but it
>> lacks a frame buffer. Instead it uses the frame buffer on the Intel
>> graphics part of the CPU. On Windows, it also only uses the nVidia GPU
>> for some operations and the Intel for more basic ones where its
>> integration into the CPU will result in optimum performance. The
>> result is no support on anything but Windows for the nVidia.You can
>> find more on this at:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus/
>
> So my only option is to use the integrated intel gfx?

Afraid so. But it works pretty well unless you are gaming or running
something that really requires high 3D performance.

>> The other big issue with the graphics is the lack of the ability to
>> switch back to console mode. Once X is started, you have no ability to
>> get a vty screen. This is especially annoying when something in the
>> graphics (probably the KMS) glitches and the display goes bad. the
>> only recovery is a re-boot. I keep hoping that console mode support
>> will be written at some point, but it has not happened to this point
>> and kib (who wrote the KMS code) has stated that he has no plans to
>> write it.
>
> Annoying, but this happens so rarely I am not very concerned at this time.
>

>> Lenovo does white-list wireless cards and the cards on it all have
>> Lenovo specific PCI IDs. I bought a standard Intel 2200/BGN card and
>> it would not work. I had to buy a Levovo branded card at four times
>> the price. (My T520 came with a RealTek card.)
>
> As long as the intel wireless works, I am not very concerned about this.
>
> My other option for roughly the same price is
>
> ThinkPad T530
>
> Processor:      Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
> Display Type:   15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display,

This is what i have on my T520. Works well with KMS.

> Mobile Broadband Ready

My cell phone acts as a hot spot, so I don't have this.

> System Graphics:        Intel HD Graphics 4000
Again, an Ivybridge. As I mentioned, there have been some issues
reported with Mesa. It works, but some acceleration may not.

> Total Memory:   4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)       [ I'd likely need to
> upgrade this separately ]
> Pointing Device:        UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader for Color Sensor,
I think you get 3-buttons with this. (My T520 does.)
> Smart Card Reader
Works fine.
> Camera: 720p HD Camera with Microphone
Again, the one on my T520 does not seem to work, but I have not spent
any real time trying.
> Hard Drive:     500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
> Optical Device: DVD Recordable 8x Max, Dual Layer, Ultrabay Enhanced
> System Expansion Slots: Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader & Smart
> Card Reader
> Battery:        6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+
> Power Cord:     90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
> Bluetooth:      Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
> Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters:  Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
Uses the IWN driver and should be fine.

> I really need to make my decision today.  I need a development laptop
> to replace my desktop.  Graphics don't need to be great but should be
> non-VESA

I might mention that the tray for a second hard drive is pretty cheap.
I left Windows on the primary drive and bought  750G for the second. I
formatted it GPT and put booteasy on the primary drive which bots
fine. (GPT my work OK on a newer system, though.) Still, I like
keeping Windows and FreeBSD on different drives. I use ntfs-3g and
fusefs to mount the Windows partition were I use the fonts and media
files. I really like having two spindles, but I'd love the higher-res
display, too. the killer for me would be the UltraNav "mouse" as I
hate touchpads. :-)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com