Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2016 01:46:23 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   11.0 -r303168 for TARGET_ARCH=powerpc: etc/mtree/BSD.lib32.dist usr/lib32/i18n/ usr/lib32/dtrace/ usr/lib32/ involved

Context: amd64 11.0 -r303168 cross build sequence WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes =
of TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc (non-64), buildworld then installworld and =
mergemaster to a local directory:

mergemaster produced . . .

> *** You chose the automatic install option for files that did not
>     exist on your system.  The following were installed for you:
>       =
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/etc/mtree/BSD.lib32.dist

The later delete-old delete-old-libs produced . . .

> remove =
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/etc/mtree/BSD.lib32.dist? y
> =
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/usr/share/locale/kk_KZ.UTF-8
> /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/usr/lib32/i18n
> /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/usr/lib32/dtrace
> /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld/usr/lib32
> To remove old libraries run 'make delete-old-libs'.
> Please be sure no application still uses those libraries, else you
> can not start such an application. Consult UPDATING for more
> information regarding how to cope with the removal/revision bump
> of a specific library.

For some reason "lib32" is involved a little bit when no such is needed.

Context details:

The prior build had been for -r302457 .

# more ~/src.configs/src.conf.powerpc-clang-bootstrap.amd64-host=20
TO_TYPE=3Dpowerpc
#
KERNCONF=3DGENERICvtsc-NODEBUG
TARGET=3D${TO_TYPE}
.if ${.MAKE.LEVEL} =3D=3D 0
TARGET_ARCH=3D${TO_TYPE}
.export TARGET_ARCH
.endif
#
WITH_CROSS_COMPILER=3D
WITHOUT_SYSTEM_COMPILER=3D
#
WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=3D
WITH_BINUTILS_BOOTSTRAP=3D
WITH_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=3D
WITH_CLANG=3D
WITH_CLANG_IS_CC=3D
WITH_CLANG_FULL=3D
WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS=3D
# lldb requires missing atomic 8-byte operations for powerpc (non-64)
WITHOUT_LLDB=3D
#
WITH_BOOT=3D
WITHOUT_LIB32=3D
#
WITHOUT_ELFTOOLCHAIN_BOOTSTRAP=3D
WITHOUT_GCC_BOOTSTRAP=3D
WITHOUT_GCC=3D
WITHOUT_GCC_IS_CC=3D
WITHOUT_GNUCXX=3D
#
NO_WERROR=3D
#WERROR=3D
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=3D
#
WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D

make.conf empty.

Side note:

WARNING to avoid bad implications: clang 3.8.0 produces code that =
violates the powerpc (32-bit) ABI FreeBSD requires relative to stack =
handling. There are other problems as well, such as exception handling. =
To actually use the buildworld result I'd use a kernel modified to have =
a so-called "red-zone" for signal delivery. clang can not yet build the =
kernel so that part would be gcc 4.2.1 based. This does not deal with =
the exception handling issues or other things but can be fairly useful. =
(I'm weeks away from having powerpc or powerpc64 access again.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net