Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:56:37 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
Cc:        jasone@freebsd.org, deischen@freebsd.org, phk@phk.freebsd.dk, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, rwatson@freebsd.org, davidxu@freebsd.org, grog@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql performance test results under FreeBSD-7.0-CURRENT

Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I did make some mysql performance tests under FreeBSD-7.0-CURRENT
> with various
> scheduler and compile time options.
> It seems like mysql(BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes, BUILD_STATIC=yes,
> WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH=yes)-libpthread-tsc-sched_4bsd+preemption gives
> better performance.

You should test without WITNESS (and maybe without INVARIANTS), as it's a
safety net / debug feature for us developers.

> There are several things I didn't test and this leads to some questions:
>
> 1. I didn't make test with Poul-Henning's CPU accounting patch.
> Somehow I can't apply it
> (http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/cpu_acct_2.patch) cleanly. Where can I
> find latest patch?
> When this patch will be included in CURRENT?

It looks like a different version of this patch is committed.

> 3. I did make tests with default malloc in CURRENT. I'm confused what
> malloc options should try (jemalloc? phkmalloc?) What is the default
> malloc in CURRENT? How to use these different mallocs?

The default in current is jemalloc as it is supposed to give a lot of
benefits in the SMP case, and no no drawbacks in the UP case. The previous
version is called phkmalloc. Have a look at "man malloc.conf" for tuning
features. You can also disable some debug stuff by recompiling the world
with "-DNO_MALLOC_EXTRAS" added to your CFLAGS.

Bye,
Alexander.

The further away the disaster or accident occurs, the
greater the number of dead and injured required for it
to become a story.