Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 03:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   some forward progress on dynamic devices

I've been working on integrating some TFS proprietary hardware with FreeBSD.
Using devfs and the cdevsw_add() routines I am able to
link the devices in with no changes to the sources off the net, other than
to add the files to i386/conf/file.i386.. no-more having to edit conf.c
no more editing /dev/MAKEDEV .. yey!

A little cleaning up to do then I'm planning on launching into
ALL THE DEVICES and adding similar dynamic stuff (ifdef'ed out by default)
the aim is to be able to flick a switch and go fully dynamic, but until then
I want to make sure nothing breaks.

in this app they can't be lkms.. but it'd be nice..
I think the next hurdle to be cleared is fully dynamic
interrupt assignment, so an lkm driver can
dynamically decide which vector and which ipl..

this is starting to be fun again..

julian