Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:51:04 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone slow inbound net I/O

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:18:34PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 23:26 -0400, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> > Greeting-
> >
> > It is confirmed, the net I/O is much slower than reading from the SD
> > card.  Here is another run of tar - pipe - tar, but this time the
> > source is the sd card and the destination is still the USB zfs.
> [...]
> >

> You're not actually testing network performance, you're testing a
> confusing mashup of overall system performance.
>
> iperf on my beaglebone shows a throughput of 92mbps in both directions,
> which is not at all bad for a 100mbps connection.

Just checked: I do have a AM3358 board with an AR8035 PHY, which is GMII.
http://www.goembed.com/index.php/Products/detail/tpid/49
It is the "SBC3358 ACW-B2A"
Unfortunately it doesn't have the same TTL UART console connector as the
beaglebone, although it shares the IO module header.
Once I've setup an UART cable (JST connector it seems) I can try booting
a beaglebone image and do some GBit/s performance tests.
They claim it to be software compatible with the beaglebone, which can
only partly be true with the Atheros PHY and additional IOs, but chances
are good that it works with FreeBSD out of the box.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de