Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:51:22 -0300
From:      "Alexandre Biancalana" <biancalana@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_stripe error

Thanks Arne !

Really is happening what you told.... the partition concat/concat1 have the
number 31, but in gstripe list it appears at position 21 position.... (see
my first email)

but the dump looks ok.....

# gstripe dump concat/concat1

Metadata on concat/concat1:
         Magic string: GEOM::STRIPE
     Metadata version: 3
          Device name: data
            Device ID: 494690382
          Disk number: 31
Total number of disks: 32
          Stripe size: 131072
   Hardcoded provider:

Another idea ?

On 7/18/06, R. B. Riddick <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Alexandre Biancalana <biancalana@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > OK...
> > >
> > > And where is the disk with number 31 (in the gstripe list output)
> after
> > > the
> > > geom_stripe disk is freshly label'ed?
> >

> > Excuse me if I don't understand your question....  the disk 31 (da4s1b)
> is
> > before the last line of $disks variable....
> >
> OK - I am not a native speaker of the english language...
>
> I mean:
> If u look at the output of "gstripe list":
> Where (at which position) do you see the disk with number 31?
>
> In my case the position is always exactly one more than the disk number.
> See here:
>
> %%%
> Providers:
> 1. Name: stripe/data
>    Mediasize: 250827243520 (234G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r1w1e1
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: ad0s1e
>    Mediasize: 125413711360 (117G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r1w1e2
>    Number: 0
> 2. Name: ad1s1e
>    Mediasize: 125413711360 (117G)
>    Sectorsize: 512
>    Mode: r1w1e2
>    Number: 1
> %%%
>
> If in your geom_stripe the position a disk in the output of "gstripe list"
> is
> not as I expect it, maybe the output of "gstripe dump adXXXX" or
> "...daXXXX"
> might help...
>
> My current preliminary theory is as follows:
> 1. Somehow your geom_stripe becomes misconfigured after some time, so that
> the
> order of the stripes is wrong. I mean: GOOD: Disk0, Disk1, Disk2, Disk3,
> ...,
> Disk31; But BAD: Disk0, Disk1, ..., Disk20, Disk31, Disk21, ..., Disk30

2. When VFS tries to read that data it mentions an unrecoverable filesystem