Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 15:03:59 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   WinTV's HDTV cousin

WinTV-D Model 697
  http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm

  | decodes all ATSC Digital TV formats, from 480i up to 1080i...rendered
  | into a 480i format and displayable in a resizable window on your PC
  | screen...also output to an S-Video connector...so you can view Digital
  | TV on a TV monitor...also decodes the AC-3 audio portion of the Digital
  | TV signal [5 speaker output]...  also tunes and displays conventional
  | analog television

This really sounds like the way to go until digital cable comes out.

   ...versus a $7000 HDTV TV

   ...plus external HDTV antenna decoder box (that supports some subset
      of the 11 modes they threw in the antenna standard)

     Nice thing about this is it still works with std analog TV and also
gives you a down-converted analog signal for HDTV which you can record with
a regular VCR.  Handy since there aren't any HDTV VCRs yet (AFA I've heard).

     Anybody heard of the "TeraLogic Janus" (see the attached posting from
Ken@Hauppauge).  Hopefully specs are available.  Maybe a good next video
project for FreeBSD (?)

Randall

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=533548592&fmt=text